Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lost & Found

Love it or hate, confused or mesmerized, intrigued or fed up -- no matter what you think of LOST, fact is I am a no holds barred, hands-down, die hard LOSTie, and since this is the final season I am not only severely engulfed in all things LOST but am anxiously awaiting the bittersweet day in which I can look upon all five seasons worth of nay sayers, raise one eyebrow, pierce them with a judging stare and share what I believe to be an inevitable moment of shame for those who've discounted what I believe to be the greatest show ever written. But until that day arrives I am along for the beautiful and sometimes patience-trying ride that is LOST.

Had this blog begun earlier I'd have covered the earlier episodes this season but since the time is nigh I will skip all the "what's this temple thing" rigamarole and just get to this week's episode.

"The Lighthouse" -- So we're four episodes in and although not a lot, if any, has been fully revealed of the promised final season wrap-up.. it is notable to point out that (and excuse me if I'm being blunt) NOTHING on LOST is ever a one trick pony reveal, if you don't know that by now then you haven't been watching.

*(Venturing off subject but stay with me because this needs to be said)*

What I mean is that everything up to now has been a cumulative revelation, bits and pieces that lead to that ah-ha moment. In fact, in my opinion that very attribute is what makes this show so appealing. If I wanted week to week action I'd be watching 24. The nail biting for LOST doesn't lie in the riveting music, wow-ing cameos, or cheesy lines.. it is meticulously calculated and in a week between episodes one can lose themselves to multiple theories, some of them outrageous and some verging on insane, but when it all comes down to it, if you've followed the plot from the beginning it is virtually undeniable that Carlton Cuse & Damon Lindelof are some creative and very brilliant gentlemen.. if only I were a fly on that wall.. seriously folks.. they have developed an amazingly delicate web here.

Okay so give me your hand and help me down off my soapbox and let's talk about this week's episode...

Loved it, mainly because it felt so old school... I can never express enough how much I love Hurley's comic relief and how it takes me to this little place where I feel like he is speaking for all of us watching.. No Ben, which is always a bummer, but we got a lot of Jacob and that's rare, especially since the focus has been on the Man in Black aka Not-Locke, Smocke, UnLocke, or my personal favorite Mocke. Enjoyed the entire Alice In Wonderland continued theme and though I felt that Jack was a little overacted this week, I'm totally up for the whole Chance-to-be-a-better-Dad-to-your-son-than-yours-was-to-you lesson/scenario.

Now for the best part:

Let's talk theories --

1. I think Juliet is going to be David's mother, it only makes sense, I mean the kid is approximately 12/13 so that means he was conceived around the time Jack would have been in med school and since she was never shown we have to assume it's because she is another islander who crossed paths with Jack in his flash-sideways life. And who do we know that's a doctor?.. ahem..

2. I know this is a little far back, but I think the whole Miles hears Juliet from the dead moment was not realized for it's true meaning.. Don'tcha think "It worked" could mean that she's speaking from her alternate reality life in switch she is... wait for it... STILL ALIVE

3. I keep wanting to lean towards the idea that there is going to be a switch in power (i.e. Jacob is really the bad guy and MIB is the good guy) mainly because I keep seeing this whole wolf in sheep's clothing kinda act everytime we get the skinny on what Jacob's up to.. something just doesn't fit there, plus I feel like John Locke was so amazing and he couldn't possibly have been a candidate for evil.

4. About the magic mirror machine -- I saw three images when he was turning the dial, Jack's childhood home, one looked to me like the temple on the island, however it could have been an asian style home in which case it has something to do with the Kwon's probably, also we saw the reflection of the church where Sawyer was first approached by Jacob as a kid, so when Jack said "I haven't lived in that house since I was kid" that says to me that if we're seeing the places where Jacob intersected their lives, then SHEPHARD isn't Jack, because Jacob approached him at the hospital, so who else was home when Jack was a kid that might've met our friend Jacob... I'll give you a hint, he's been talked about in the all of this season's episodes but never seen, and his name is sorta biblical... oh and his last name is SHEPHARD... :)

Lastly: Don't know if you guys read The Lost Diary but you should because it's awesome and anyhow I was doing some comment browsing earlier and found a few cool thoughts to share.

Alice in Wonderland Theme
- Scene with David Jack talks about having read him an Alice in Wonderland Book
- When he goes to David's Mom's house to look for him the key is under a white rabbit
- The title of the Dharma Station "The Looking Glass" with symbol of a rabbit
- Destruction of mirrors or "looking glass" where Jacob could saw into their lives

Significance of 108
- 108 is the total of all the LOST numbers
- The name beside 108 on the dial in the lighthouse was Wallace, crossed out
- Charles Wallace was a character in "A Wrinkle in Time" series who was a psychic kid (Walter anyone)
- The stories were about space/time travel
- Within the stories was a creature called "The Black Thing" and references to turning points in time and battles between good and evil


Best Quote of Lost:

Season One - Pilot Episode - Locke teaching Walt how to play backgammon, "There are two sides, two players. One is light, the other is dark." And when Walt asks if they had dice a long time ago Locke tells him "But theirs weren't made of plastic. Their dice were made of bones."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lacy its Ginny M.! I saw this link on facebook.. Im in love with Lost as well.. I really like this blog gave me some things to think about. Also not really a huge integral part of the story (or is it) but we got to see the "Adam and Eve" bodies once again in this episode so question is who are they lol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ginny! Thanks for checking out my blog! Yes I'm a SUPER LOSTie.. well considering my son's name is Jackson "Jack" Sawyer, I think it's safe to say I am far gone in my love for the show. But anyhow, I appreciate you droppin' in to read my stuff. Hope you'll follow the blog regularly. About the whole "Adam & Eve" thing. I think there are endless possibilities there, if you're willing to think in theories, however I sometimes tend to think that when Hurley points something out or over explains his theory on something it's sort of the writers poking fun at all the things we fans come up with. They never hand it to you on a silver platter that way, what fun would that be? So the whole, "what if this is us? What if we died in the past and were buried here?" idea is sorta moot because Hurley flat-out said it on the show. I think it's more possible that those are the original bodies of Jacob and the Man in Black or some other original caretakers of the island..

    ReplyDelete